Canada encourages family reunification. The Family Visa programs that Canada offers range of programs and opportunities for Canadian citizens and permanent
Canadian residents to sponsor family members to live in Canada.
Spousal Visa
A person who is a Permanent Resident of Canada can sponsor a person as his/ her spouse if that person is married to the Permanent Resident (and the marriage
performed in a legal service). A marriage between two persons of the same sex will also be recognized for immigration purposes, if the marriage was legally
performed in Canada, or was performed outside of Canada in a country where marriage between two persons of the same sex is legally recognized.
Dependent Child Visa
Canada encourages familial ties. The Dependent Child visa is intended to reunite children with their
Canadian parents. This visa allows Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents to apply to sponsor their or their partner’s dependent or adopted
children who are of 19 yrs of age or below. Once approved, dependent children can join their sponsoring parent(s) in Canada. Dependent children can enjoy
permanent residence and can live, study and work in Canada.
Common-Law Partner Visa
By applying for the Common-Law Partner visa, eligible applicant can stay with his/her partner (same and opposite sex) in Canada. According to this program,
Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents can sponsor their common-law partner and (eligible) dependent children. The sponsor should intend to live
with applicant and support his/her financially. Once approved, the applicant can live, study and work in Canada for an indefinite period.
Conjugal Partner Visa
Partners separated by war, discrimination or any other legal barriers can reunite via Conjugal partner Visa. This visa allows eligible (same and opposite-sex)
partners to stay with his/her Canadian partner. As per this program, Canadian citizens or permanent Canadian residents can apply to sponsor their conjugal
partners and dependent children. Upon approval, the applicant can enjoy permanent residence and is entitled to live, study and work in Canada.
Parental & Grandparental Visa
A Parental and Grandparental visa program allows parents and grand-parents to be sponsored by their Canadian children and grandchildren to live in Canada. The
sponsors should be Canadian citizens or permanent Canadian residents. CIC will open the registration under this program in starting of every year, but only those
whose number is randomly selected can apply under the program. The Canadian sponsor should be prepared to live in Canada with the applicant and support
them monetarily without having any access to public funds. On approval, the applicant will be permitted to live study and work in Canada, in addition to
permanent residency.
Remaining Relative Visa
Fostering the family reunification policy, Canada offers Remaining Relative visa to reunite families. Canadians who do not have any immediate family relatives in
Canada or abroad, can sponsor an extended relative from abroad. Through this program, Canadian citizen and permanent Canadian resident is allowed to
sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship under the family category. Upon approval, the remaining relative will be entitled for permanent residency,
work and study in Canada.